When it comes to search engine optimization, the homepage tends to be probably the most problematic asset on a typical SaaS web site.
For many early-stage SaaS manufacturers, the web site consists of the homepage and maybe a handful of supporting pages that don’t supply a lot in the best way of search engine optimization worth.
But even the extra established SaaS corporations — these with bigger websites and lots of pages to drive their search visibility — battle to make good use of their homepage.
How are you able to optimize your SaaS firm’s homepage? Here are some concepts to drive rankings, visitors, and conversions to new enterprise.
Why is Homepage search engine optimization So Challenging for SaaS Brands, Specifically?
Let’s face it, homepage search engine optimization is complicated for nearly everybody. Whether it’s a SaaS firm, a native firm, or one other enterprise sort, you’ll discover many in every vertical who battle to make good use of this actual property from an search engine optimization perspective.
At the identical time, the homepage can also be the one asset virtually each enterprise cares about probably the most.
It’s usually the first touchdown web page, whatever the visitors supply. Because of that, it’s additionally that one asset that the majority usually:
- Welcomes guests.
- Makes a first impression concerning the model.
- Describes what the corporate does (or not less than hints at it and suggests the place else somebody might study extra about it).
- Explains what worth the corporate supplies and what units the corporate and its merchandise aside available in the market.
- Points guests to the place they’ll discover the knowledge they’re on the lookout for (each by way of the navigation and any inner hyperlinks you place there).
As Yoast defined the standard strategy to homepage search engine optimization:
“One purpose that I feel a homepage doesn’t have, and that is ranking for keywords other than your business name or brand.”
That’s true for many manufacturers. But I’d argue that the SaaS market (and what goes with it, SaaS advertising and marketing) is totally different from different industries.
What’s Different About SaaS?
Many early-stage manufacturers don’t have every other industrial belongings (and even the flexibility to create extra, at that).
For many SaaS corporations, the homepage performs a industrial position and could be their solely industrial web page.
Example:An instance of a SaaS web site the place inner pages carry little industrial worth.
Then, there’s the problem of model recognition.
Everyone’s heard of Asana. Drift. HubSpot.
Those corporations can use fancy taglines of their meta title tag and get away with it. They know that individuals are on the lookout for their model anyway.
As for different key phrases, these corporations have 1000’s of pages to goal these phrases.
(Having mentioned that, Hubspot nonetheless optimizes their homepage for product classes.)
But while you’re a comparatively new SaaS firm making an attempt to carve a house for your self within the trade – while you’re making an attempt to beat extra established opponents and targeted on kick-starting progress – relying on somebody looking out Google your identify and getting to the homepage (keep in mind, the one web page on the positioning) isn’t going to get you far.
So, what are your choices?
The Role of a Homepage in SaaS search engine optimization Strategy
The significance of your homepage goes far past the truth that you don’t have any different pages to optimize (but).
The clearer you’re in explaining what your product does, what class it falls into, and what worth customers get from it, the simpler will probably be for the search engine to set up how to rank you within the search outcomes.
When you’re simply getting began in SaaS, the homepage will appeal to most if not all natural hyperlinks.
Whatever mentions, media references or different PR your product acquires will probably hyperlink to your homepage.
Your preliminary hyperlink constructing methods – visitor posting, digital PR, podcast appearances, or submitting the positioning to SaaS directories – will greater than probably additionally goal the homepage.
As different websites hyperlink to your homepage, they cross alongside PageRank which may then be distributed round your web site to assist particular pages get discovered by Google.
Smart inner linking will assist you to cross the advantage of that PageRank you’ve gathered on the homepage onto new pages as you develop them.
What Keywords to Use to Optimize a SaaS Homepage, Then?
There are three sorts of key phrases to give attention to. The first is clear however to discover the suitable phrases for the others, you have to to do a little bit of key phrase analysis.
1. Your Brand
Despite the necessity to give attention to different phrases, it’s nonetheless a good thought to embrace brand-related phrases on the homepage.
At a minimal, embrace the corporate or the product identify within the homepage’s title tag, sometimes on the finish of the tag.
This manner, you make sure that the primary focus of the tag is in your main goal key phrases.
In most circumstances, you’ll naturally sprinkle the model throughout the web page, too. You’ll point out it within the meta description, maybe embrace it in the primary subheading, below the tagline, in alt textual content for a picture or two, and elsewhere within the physique copy (in opinions or testimonials, for instance) because it naturally happens.
2. Product Category (If the Intent Is Right)
This is the place you start to place your homepage (and the model) for phrases that may drive precious industrial visitors.
Product category-related key phrases describe the first class that finest defines your product.
These aren’t the key phrases which may outline the mission’s attributes or performance however extra common seed phrases that inform a person what the product is and aren’t associated to your model in any manner.
These are sometimes the phrases you employ to describe the product to shoppers, traders, or varied stakeholders — Enterprise Resource Planning software program, CMS and ecommerce, communications platform, and so on.
These are the phrases you’ll discover salespeople referencing these of their emails, gross sales supplies, and so forth.
Where to Include the Product Category-Related Keyword?
As that is the first key phrase you’ll be concentrating on, apply it to each web page:
- In meta tags.
- In the web page’s H1 tag.
- In the web page’s physique content material’s opening.
- In alt tags, and so on.
An Exception: When the Keyword Has a Different User Intent Than the Homepage
There could be conditions the place the person intent for a product category-related phrase is totally different than what you possibly can goal with the homepage.
Even although the phrase might sound to have a industrial intent at first, upon inspection, you could notice it ranks for a complete number of intents.
Take the key phrase phrase [small business CRM]. The key phrase appears very best to use on a software program product’s homepage.
But have a look at the SERP. Those listings embrace largely informational content material:
- Most of the top-ranking pages are listicles presenting collections of CRM software program options.
- None of these pages are product homepages.
- There is just one precise CRM software program area rating, and even that’s not a industrial web page.
Ranking a homepage could be fairly troublesome to not possible to obtain, particularly for a lesser-known SaaS model.
You have two choices right here:
- Compromise and determine a totally different product category-related key phrase (or not less than one that’s shut sufficient to the product class.) Create a separate web page to goal the unique key phrase you supposed with content material related to its intent.
- Focus solely on the model. I personally imagine that’s an excessive amount of of a compromise for an early-stage startup.
3. Keywords Relating to the Product’s Core Offerings
We’ve lined positioning in your model and the product class.
But what about these different phrases that describe your product? What about key phrases that relate to the product’s options or performance?
These phrases aren’t your main key phrases however there may be a manner to weave them in.
What’s extra, you need to use the homepage to help particular pages you would possibly create for these key phrases.
Include a listing of your product’s performance. You most definitely have it on the web page already in some form or type.
- What are They, Types & Examples
- Does Using a Dropdown Menu Negatively Impact Page Authority?
- The Hidden Tool Online Consumers Use to Find Hidden Inventory Sales
- How to Optimize for Rich Snippets: A Complete Guide
- How to Write Perfect Paid Social Media Marketing Objectives (With Examples)
Then, hyperlink every of these sections to a related touchdown web page.
Ideally, you’ll use the extra key phrase within the hyperlink’s anchor textual content to improve relevance. You’ll obtain three targets this manner:
- You’ll improve the topical relevance of the homepage. Google and different serps will higher perceive what your product does and what phrases could be related to your area.
- You’ll be helping guests find any content material that’s related to their wants.
- And lastly, you’ll be strengthening the web page authority of these further belongings you’ve created to rank for key phrases associated to the product’s options or performance.
Your SaaS model’s homepage is greater than a touchdown web page for branded queries and direct visits.
Make positive you perceive the way it can affect your natural search rankings for various kinds of queries now and in future —and make good use of these alternatives.